Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Natchez Day Trip

So, I grew up in south Louisiana, Slidell to be exact.  I now live in north Louisiana and my BFF lives in Baton Rouge...we don't see each other nearly as often as we would like.  So, Good Friday we both took a day trip.  She drove up from BR to Natchez and we drove down to Natchez (it's about the middle of the trip--works out nicely for all involved).  

Now, let me say that this is not necessarily easy for either of us.  Gas prices are going up, and we both have kids...5 of them between the two of us.  BFF has 6.5 year old boy/girl twins.  I have 3 girls, ages 10.5, 2.5, and 1...this where things got interesting on this trip, at least for us.

P, age 2.5, has been wearing nothing but panties during the day, since Christmas.  This was fine, until last week.  Not really sure what prompted this, but every time she got in her car seat or put into her bed at nap time she peed....this is gross...I have to clean it, take the seat apart or put a new mattress pad and sheet on the bed, and did I mention that cleaning up pee is gross and stinky?!

Well, we've been building up for months that someone (thinking it would be P) was getting a new car seat (until now P has been rearfacing in her Graco MyRide 65 convertible seat--the AAP and all research indicates that rearfacing as long as possible is safest for toddlers).  Well, things did NOT go as planned this day.  The plan was to get P a new Evenflo Symphony 65 all-in-one seat (I don't like the current harness to booster seats for small children, they push their heads forward when they fall asleep and are not all that comfortable which is why I was opting for the convertible/all-in-one seat), it has a high rearfacing weight limit, fairly tall shell rearfacing, has a tall shell/headrest for forward facing with decent recline and higher weight limit and can be used for a little while as a booster...well...in the 15 minutes it takes to get from our home to Burlington Coat Factory, guess who peed in their seat!  You got it! Paige did! 
I was NOT a happy mama.
So, using a hand towel and some paper towels I sopped up the nasty mess as best I could, put a plastic bag down in the seat (I had just washed the cover this same morning, so I was really not happy), changed her clothes and told P that B would be getting a new seat, not her.  She had to keep riding in her seat since she kept peeing in it.  P was not happy, she sobbed and fussed and whined, but when it was all said and done she was ok because her seat got turned to face forward (although, if she doesn't shut up, I'm going to figure out how to make her rearfacing in the rear row of our van work because she is a bad backseat driver!). So B got the Symphony and is rearfacing in it until at least 2.
After buying the seat we had to unbox it, read at least the rearfacing part of the manual, install it in the car and then begin our journey to Natchez.


Our journey to Natchez was uneventful thankfully, we stopped and got burgers at Wendy's on the way and met my BFF and her family at Duncan Park to play.  We played softball/baseball, collected bugs, leaves, moss, played with the swings and a small dinosaur they could ride on too.  My BFF brought me several bags of clothes ranging in sizes from 12month to girls size 6 for my little girls (thank you very much, J).  After the park we went to Cock of the Walk for a dinner of catfish, onion rings, fried pickles, french fries, skillet corn bread, coleslaw and pickled onions! (too bad I didn't take a picture of all the food)



 After dinner we walked along the river for a few minutes to chat and relax before driving to our homes.  We caught a beautiful sunset in the process.



Now, my BFF, her path out to home does NOT include going by DQ, but ours did, so to DQ we went.  I LOVE DQ, however the nearest one to us is almost 2 hours away (sucks really).  I got a kids cup of ice cream for P, a small double fudge blizzsard for A, hubby got a strawberry malt and I got a caramel malt (they don't have butterscotch anymore--bummer).  Well, we didn't get B anything, she doesn't like ice cream, she doesn't like cold, so I didn't think she'd eat anything...we stopped at the Walmart in Vidalia on the way home (after DQ) to get some Benadryl since I had forgotten mine and B's eyes were watering, while I was waiting for A and P to go to the bathroom I sat in the car and nursed B...she kept sitting up and saying "that, that" and pointing at hubby's cup....so I gave her a sip...she drank like a third of his malt before she went back to nursing!  It was actually quite funny because she made a face every time she took a drink because it was cold, but she always started yelling "that, that" every time he took the cup away!  So I guess since she doesn't like milk all that much, maybe I could get her to drink strawberry flavored milk and wean her off the syrup eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment